Download FAQ / Terms & Conditions
Terms & Conditions
Terms and conditions apply to all charters and in making a booking you and all parties in your group agree
to the following terms and conditions. It is recommended that you download and share these conditions
with your group.
Deposit / Full Payment
- A deposit of $100 per person is payable within 14 days to confirm the booking.
- If the charter is to take place within 14 days then the deposit is required within 2 days of booking.
- The remaining balance is accepted prior to the charter date, but if not full payment is required on
the day of the charter.
- For each charter Reef Encounters will endeavour to fill the boat to the maximum of 12 people.
- If you have extra people interested in addition to your original booking number you are required to
contact Reef Encounters immediately to revise your booking. Excludes exclusive use bookings.
- Exclusive use bookings are agreed upon at time of booking but generally require 12 people (or
payment for 12 people). Long range charters exclusive use are determined on enquiry.
- It is recommended that the organiser collect the full money required from their group well in
advance of the charter date.
Cancellations & No Shows
- The organiser must give at least 14 days’ notice of a full group cancellation and deposits paid will be
reimbursed. For full group cancellation within 14 days of the charter date the deposit is non‐
- Reef Encounters Fishing Charters must be advised immediately if there is a reduction in your
booking numbers, Reef Encounters will then attempt to fill the remaining spots.
- If less than 7 days’ notice is given for a reduction in booking numbers Reef Encounters will attempt
to fill the positions but if we cannot then the full amount must be paid by the booking party. No
- No show(s) on the day will lose the deposit paid and the remaining full amount must be paid by the
booking party. No exceptions.
- Deposits and any monies paid are refunded if the charter is cancelled by the operator due to
weather conditions. Alternatively, the charter can be rolled over to another date.
- The organiser is to collect individual deposits from people in their group and make a single deposit
payment. No individual payments are accepted for group bookings.
- The same occurs for remaining balance payments.
- Payment is required via Electronic Funds Transfer or money order. EFT details are provided on
booking. When paying via EFT the organiser must use his/her name and the date of charter as a
- Sorry no credit card facilities are available and no personal cheques accepted.
- The charter accommodation is owned and managed by Reef Encounters, please respect our
property and leave the property as you found it.
- The price you have paid for the charter does not include a cleaning fee. Additional cleaning,
maintenance and damage fees will be charged if the property is not left in the same state you
found it including maintenance fees, furniture replacement, trades fees or key replacement.
- Please respect our neighbours and the community and keep noise to a minimum after 10.30pm.
- All guests are required to supply their own bedding, linen, towels and toiletries.
- All customers must declare any pre‐existing medical conditions or any medication prior to
- Passengers must comply with Master and Crew Member instructions at all times.
- The Master of the vessel has the right to disembark any passenger who in his opinion is not
properly following instructions or directions.
- It will be a requirement of all passengers to read the Safety Procedure Manual upon boarding the
vessel. A copy is also located in our accommodation.
- Please treat our equipment with respect, if our fishing gear is deliberately abused, damaged or lost
overboard you will be charged a replacement fee along with any damage to the boat due to
- Any photography and video taken on the day may be used for marketing purposes such as (but not
limited to) social media, websites, TV. Please advise the Master upon boarding if you do not wish
your image to be used.
- Responsible consumption of alcohol is permitted, we ask that you please restrict to cans only.
- The consumption of drugs is strictly forbidden on board the vessel.
- Valid for 12 months from date of issue.
- Non-refundable / non-transferable.
- Minimum booking numbers apply when using a Gift Certificate.
- It is the responsibility of the recipient to contact Reef Encounters Fishing Charters to check
availability and to make a booking.
- The Gift Certificate number must be advised when making a booking.
- Gift Certificates must be produced on day of the charter.
Frequently Asked Questions
- 45ft Harriscraft
- custom fit out for Charter and Sport fishing
- 380 HP Scania Turbo Diesel
- enclosed toilet
- galley / kitchen
- on-board accommodation for 7 passengers
- latest electronics
- seating for 12
- rear deck awning for shade
- tinted side curtains to prevent spray
- large eskies to store your catch during the charter
- vessel and safety equipment to Department of Planning, Transport and Infrastructure survey requirements
What can I expect on the charter?
- Deep water reef fishing
- Trolling for tuna in season (approx January - June)
- 40 – 80 m or 120 - 240ft of water
- Huge reef systems 1 – 40m or 3 - 120ft high
- fishing on anchor and / or drifting with baits, jigs and soft plastics
- Keep your catch
- Expect to catch on any given spot:
- Nannygai or Red Snapper
- Blue Morwong
- quality fishing equipment supplied
- overhead and threadline reels spooled with braided line
- some lures and jigs
What do I need to bring?
- You are required to bring your own lunch and drinks on the charter.
- catering can be arranged for a fee, 7 days notice is required to order catering.
- small esky with ice for your food and drinks
- large esky with ice in your car to ice down your fish once back on the beach (the fish will be looked after on board in an ice slurry)
- Hat, sunglasses, sunscreen
- Filleting knife
- Pillows and quilts / sleeping bag for your accommodation and liveaboard charters
What time do we depart and return?
- Day trips operate from 7.30am to 4.00pm approx.
- Tuna & Deep Sea Long Range fishing charters are longer days, timing will be confirmed on booking.
- Please allow 30 minutes travel time from Marion Bay if the charter is departing from Pondalowie Bay.
- All guests are required to supply their own bedding, linen and toiletries.
- Reef Encounters operate two houses in Marion Bay for fishing charter accommodation which both sleep at least 12 people.
- Tea, coffee, milk and sugar provisions are provided at each house and a BBQ is available for use
- If you want to extend your visit in Marion Bay the accommodation is available for additional nights hire (subject to availability upon booking).
- Charter House 1 – 12 Eucalyptus Court, Marion Bay
- Charter House 2 - 23 Osprey Drive, Marion Bay
- Your accommodation location will be advised to you the week before your charter.
- Please respect our property and leave the property as you found it.
- Please respect our neighbours and the community and keep noise to a minimum after 10.30pm.
- Additional cleaning, maintenance and damage fees will be charged if the property is not left in an acceptable state this includes but is not limited to loss, maintenance fees, furniture replacement, trades fees or key replacement.
Where do we meet for the charter?
- If departing from Pondalowie Bay you will be required to meet in the Pondalowie Fishermans Village at 7.30am.
- As you will be entering Innes National Park, you must purchase a Parks Pass online before you leave your accommodation. No hard copy is required to be printed.
- If departing from Marion Bay please meet in the Marion Bay Boat Ramp Car Park at 7.30am.
How do I get to Marion Bay?
- Marion Bay is located 300km from Adelaide on the lower Yorke Peninsula, South Australia via Port Wakefield, Minlaton and Warooka. The drive takes approximately 3 hours without stops.
- Pondalowie Bay is located within Innes National Park, the entrance to Innes National Park is located 7kms from Marion Bay.
- Marion Bay General Store
- Marion Bay Tavern
- Beach Break Café
- Studio Surf Art Gallery
- MBC Foods
- George’s Curry (home delivery only)
- A Courtesy Bus is available for local transfers with donations required on use. Return transfers are also available to Pondalowie Bay for your charter (price confirmed on booking). Please call the Marion Bay Tavern for all bookings.
- 20 kg bags of crushed ice can be purchased at Warooka Ice.
- Located 2kms after Warooka
- On the LHS of the road opposite the Pt Turton turn off sign
- A large silver shed with blue ice sign
Are children allowed on the charter?
- Children aged over 12 years are recommended.
- Children must be under adult supervision and wear a life jacket at all times.
- Parents are recommended to provide a life jacket, if unable to provide one, life jackets are available on the vessel.
Fishing Destinations may include:
- Wedge Island
- Althorpe Island
- Kangaroo Island (Western end)
- Neptune Islands
- Investigator Strait
- Thistle Island and beyond
- Owner / Operator Mark Wynbergen has been operating Reef Encounters Fishing Charters from Marion Bay and Pondalowie Bay since 1998.
- All charters have a deckhand on board.
- Master Qualifications:
- Master 5 / Skipper 3
- Marine Engine Driver 3
- Senior First Aid Certificate
- Licensed Scuba Diver